Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Slumped on one's own hunkers!

REPOST: Remembering Ondoy...now we have Pedring (Nisat) and I heard by tomorrow another strong typhoon is coming to hit the country. Let's just pray that Ondoy will never ever happen again.





Everyone here in our community is busy cleaning their homes from the enormous bulk of garbage Ondoy has left after that great flood has breached neck-deep last Sept 26th and 27th. It was a calamitous defeat for everyone...including me and my family. On that fateful day, I had to find an easy access for my mtg earlier but to my disappointment , every way was so shin-deep flooded already until I resigned and went home right away. I just stayed in my bed and from time to time I looked outside how deep the flood had reached. I scurried away with funky knees to transfer my car immediately after my good neighbor texted me that half of my tires has already dip in running floodwaters which happened to be right beside her windows. And so I jumped out to save it. I saw a place where it could be safer. But an hour-long after I went home the water surged in through the bathroom and laundry sewer so...it was very very quick until just a ruler length was left visible of our perimeter fence. We were then forced to stay at the 2nd floor of our house, good thing...if not we would be swimming to cold murky water... no food no water except the big bag of Pic-a my dau hide in the closet. I saw many young snakes swimming to find their own niche. My son saw long adult snake swimming in the flooded vacant lot.  It was a relief that my dau was in San Sebastian for the Sports-fest. I told her not to go home since there was no way she could make it home because the flood current was already surging and most of the passengers were trapped and stranded. It was a relief also to hear that the faculty decided to house stranded students and fed them for two days, first at the gym and the 2nd day they stayed at the convent. What worried me that fateful day was when my son went home walking under the rain with his gf and left alone to look after his motor bike that has been stocked at the main gate where flood was waist-deep already and the current was strong too...and from that time on I never ceased to pray to see my son alive. I was hopeless to save my car from the flood but please spare my son and give him back to me was all I could utter in my silent prayer. The next day after heaving a heavy sigh of longing, he arrived home unscathed. Praise God! He has a lot of stories to tell. Only at this event that I took notice that we have had no existing [fire] exit to be used during emergencies. What if the flood like what happened in Marikina came to the point that residents like my niece, has to break and forced the steel window open just to make themselves safe and free to go to higher place? You're lucky if your house has second floors and luckier indeed if you have the third.
I can't find the exact words to describe how we felt exhausted hoisting all important furnitures, things and the likes just to save them from the surging flood. We have this one plastic box full of new gadgets I saw floating on water...some if not all pretty bandboxes of my daughter full of trinkets, knick knacks, mementos and some what-nots...sigh...were thrown into garbage already. I really can't imagine this things will happen in just one flick. Now after all those cleaning and washing, and everything, we all are galumphing due to too much exhaustion.


What comes after this? We have nothing to hold on to...except our faith... no one is spared from calamitous event like this that can wipe us out in an instant. We're left to pray and leave everything to fate and God.

PS/I saw this Kevin Costner starrer several times and I just remember this fiction movie because of what me and my family and the whole victims as well, have gone thru from the wrath of Ondoy. Maybe this what will happen in the future if we won't stop throwing caution to the winds...let us be more responsible...help, save and protect the earth.

Waterworld movie [1995]

POSTED: 10/02/09 4:38AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice... :D