Tuesday, June 15, 2010

In his farewell poem...


It is also interesting to note that fourteen years before his execution, Rizal predicted that he would die on December 30th. He was then a medical student in Madrid, Spain. The entry in his diary reads as follows:

January 1,1883
Two nights ago, that is 30 December, I had a frightful nightmare when I almost died.I dreamt that, imitating an actor dying on stage, I felt vividly that my breath was failing and I was rapidly losing my strength. Then my vision became dim and dense darkness enveloped me---they are the pangs of death.


"I die just when I see the dawn break,
Through the gloom of night, to herald the day;
And if color is lacking my blood thou shalt take,
Pour'd out at need for thy dear sake,
To dye with its crimson the waking ray"

Source: Jose Rizal
Gregorio Zaide & Sonia Zaide




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice... :D