Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Be wary of buying aged tires...


Was browsing the internet when I happened to stumble upon ABC news about aged tires sold as new. I got so much interested since I am driving too. When I left the country several months ago, I did make it sure to change my old tires for a new set since I am aware that one of the possible source of danger is using old tires. If you're a driver you should know when to replace it by merely looking at the tread, or the pattern raised on the face of your tire. What I didn't know is...that a tire has it's own shelf life. It can go ages and ages after manufacturing and sit for years in retailer's showroom. Now I am very eager to find out if what I did buy was really new or it was also actually old and aged tires. Since I cannot possibly go under the van to look for the encrypted numbers at the inner side, I will have to ask somebody to help me, then I will know when it was actually manufactured and if it is safe to use. I've learned that the maximum shelf life is for only six years after the manufacturing date. If it goes beyond that, then a hidden danger is actually lying beneath your tires. Even skilled driver will find it hard to control the car if it goes wayward once one of the tires blew off or explode while going too fast. All car owners should be armed with some knowledge about their cars. Like me for one, I didn't know things like this. Napakamahal pa naman ng gulong...you need a little less than 10k for a new set. And it can go higher according to sizes and brands.

PS/ I went out to check mine in the garage, hindi na ako nahirapan hanapin and it tells 3907 ...meaning it was manufactured on the 39th week of 2007...wow, natuwa naman ako...meaning bagong bago siya ng bilhin ko ...mainit init pa. Ang sarap ng feeling when you're armed with some knowledge like this lalo pa't babae ako. I feel proud of myself. Natakot ako bigla, akala ko naloko na naman ako. Ok naman pala si Mang Poly, where I bought those tires. Imagine I bought it last 2007, the same year na manufactured siya. Great...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice... :D