Thursday, January 29, 2009

Selling like hotcakes...

Compilation of Obama's speeches idiomatically speaking, are selling like hotcakes and is now being used by some Japanese who wish to learn and hone their English effectively to be used as best means of communication. They are really starting to learn the most commonly used language. Japanese who travels a lot find it too hard to express themselves so they try to keep up by learning English bit by bit.
When I went to Japan last year, I was asked to pitch in to teach four Japanese women who later on became good friends of mine. At first I was adamant since I am not too keen speaking Nihongo. When Makki asked me to pitch in, she wouldn't take NO for an answer. It was definitely an ambush request. What could I do when she told me to prepare myself for the ladies would be there in less than an hour, and before I knew it I heard a soft and short honking outside. Loud and long honking is a no-no. Wheew, if it's Makki you cannot say NO. So out we went to a nearby resto where they took me to a sumptuous lunch then afterwhich our first lesson begun...with soft hush hush...and soft cackles when they couldn't pronounce the words. We all had each pocket translator, turning to it when they couldn't fathom what I said. But as the lesson went on and on every Friday...the friendship deeper and we became more comfortable with each other. Btw, I want to say thanks for the nori (happens to be my sobriquet) and some stuff they sent me. I look up to them because they are so hardworking and the discipline's really there, when they say they would pick me up at 10 minutes before 12 noon, whoah...they were just in time...on the dot! Until now I still continue short Ego lessons via my Sushi, and Sashimi and Tea! which I make as simple as I can lest they'll be confused. I remember the day when I didn't prepare any lesson instead while we were looking at the menu for lunch, I heard Karen Carpenters singing. I asked them if they were familiar with that song which happened to be, Close to you. And to my surprise they knew her and the song. Then I told something about Karen. Then I also told them that she died because of anorexia nervosa. Wheew...they laughed at themselves because they couldn't pronounce the words. They 're really fun to be with. I told myself that really, language was not at all a barrier. Then the next song we heard was Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven...and so told them again how it was made according to some music buff, about his son's (4 yo Conor) early demise when he fell from a 53rd storey window. They all went like...weeeeehhh...in Nihongo accent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice... :D