Saturday, July 5, 2008

Some trivia...


The very first pocketbook I got hold and browsed when I was in high school was, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

***a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Harper Lee published in 1960. It was instantly successful upon its release and has become a classic of modern American fiction. The novel is loosely based on the author's observations of her family and neighbors, as well as an event that occurred near her hometown in 1936, when she was 10 years old.

The novel is renowned for its warmth and humor, despite dealing with the serious issues of rape and racial inequality. The narrator's father, Atticus Finch, has served as a moral hero for many readers, and a model of integrity for lawyers. One critic explained the novel's impact by writing, "[i]n the twentieth century, To Kill a Mockingbird is probably the most widely read book dealing with race in America, and its protagonist, Atticus Finch, the most enduring fictional image of racial heroism." [1]



My favorite of all time, is Jude Deveraux's A Knight in Shing Armour...an ultimate feel-good novel about love...the epitome of every woman's fantasy.



The novel of John Grisham, A Time to Kill made me shed some tears while reading the part of the cruel ordeal the young child went through in the hands of her antagonist.




The most heart pounding and sensual novel I have read, Possesion by Anne Rule...about sexual savagery and only hope for survival.




I became addicted reading about Princess D's life. I even collected some books from different authors that narrate about her struggles in the palace and how she was as simple Diana and how she fell in love several times. And the story about her failure as a wife and as a devoted mother to his two boys. These books I still keep and treasure for a long time because it's a little quite expensive...and glossy too.

And the last on my list is the heartbreaking novel entitled The Bridges of the Madison County...a good read also by Robert James Waller that has been made into a movie. I really really like Meryl Streep here and Clint too...for their performance.
"It tells the story of Francesca (Meryl Streep), a lonely Italian Iowa housewife. While her husband and children are away at the Illinois State Fair, she meets and falls in love with a photographer Robert Kincaid (Clint Eastwood) who has come to Madison County, Iowa to create a photographic essay for National Geographic on the covered bridges in the area. The four days they spend together are a turning point in her life and she writes of her experience in a diary which is discovered by her children after her death."

Francesca: I'm not sure you can [be yourself] with me along. Don't you see, I love you so much that I cannot think of restraining you for a moment. To do that would be to kill the wild, magnificent animal that is you.. I have feelings of responsibility here.. To Richard (her husband), to the children. Just my leaving, taking away my physical presence, would be hard enough for Richard. That alone might destroy him. On top of that, and this is even worse, he would have to live the rest of his life with the whispers of the people here.. the children would hear the snickering of Winterset for as long as they live here. They would suffer, too. And they would hate me for it.. I cannot live with the thought. [of abandoning my responsibilities] If I did leave now, those thoughts would turn me into something other than the woman you have come to love.

Francesca: Robert, please. You don't understand, no-one does. When a woman makes the choice to marry, to have children; in one way her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and stay steady so that your children can move. And when they leave they take your life of details with them. And then you're expected move again only you don't remember what moves you because no-one has asked in so long. Not even yourself. You never in your life think that love like this can happen to you.
Robert Kincaid: But now that you have it...
Francesca: I want to keep it forever. I want to love you the way I do now the rest of my life. Don't you understand... we'll lose it if we leave. I can't make an entire life disappear to start a new one. All I can do is try to hold onto to both. Help me. Help me not lose loving you.

Some text source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. I have to have a copy of A Knight in Shining Armour ASAP. I'm also a fan of Princess Di so I was so saddened of her death and her life miseries. Ok na rin kahit di ako Princess at least happy naman ako sa simple life ko. I saw Bridges of Madison, medyo malungkot.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice... :D