Friday, September 19, 2008

A certain kind of rush!

Gosh...been a bookworm for so many years in my life...in fact got tons of treasured books I've been collecting for so many years...with some pages dog-eared, some binds broken, some looked pale and brownish-old but all are neatly covered and neatly arranged in shelves. They are my treasures. Lo and behold when I got to read a PDF on Coelho's By the River Piedra...I won't allow myself not to have this book to be an additional tresure on my list. It's so heart-warming, uplifting and very enlightening piece of work. I just love it. I just finished reading the last part of the story and it feels great that I've done. My soul feels lighter than before and I can't tell how I feel right now...as if every negative part of me has been thrown away for a moment. I love his style...very different from others. Then I knew now the answer why he became the talk of the town in an instance. I crave to read more...

Here are some more quotables:

A simple gesture, but one that brings up fears we can't
really understand. What's wrong with breaking an inexpensive glass, when
everyone has done so unintentionally at some time in their life?

It's something prohibited. Glasses are
not purposely broken. In a restaurant or in our home, we're careful not to place
glasses by the edge of a table. Our universe requires that we avoid letting
glasses fall to the floor.
But when we break them by accident, we realize that it's not very serious.
"It's nothing," and when has anyone been charged for a broken
glass? Breaking glasses is part of life and does no damage to us, to the
restaurant, or to anyone else.

"It's not necessary to move mountains in order to prove one's faith,"

"A boy and a girl were insanely in love with each other," my mother's voice was
saying. "They decided to become engaged. And that's when presents are always
exchanged.
"The boy was poor–his only worthwhile possession was a watch he'd inherited from
his grandfather. Thinking about his sweetheart's lovely hair, he decided to sell
the watch in order to buy her a silver barrette.
"The girl had no money herself to buy him a present. She went to the shop of the
most successful merchant in the town and sold him her hair. With the money, she
bought a gold watchband for her lover.
"When they met on the day of the engagement party, she gave him the wristband
for a watch he had sold, and he gave her the barrette for the hair she no longer
had."

"Write down everything you're feeling. Take it out of your soul, put it on the
paper, and then throw it away. Legend says that the River Piedra is so cold that
anything that falls into it–leaves, insects, the feathers of birds–is turned to
stone. Maybe it would be a good idea to toss your suffering into its waters."


PS/ Grabeee...I yearn for more of his books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice... :D